RE: Euro head lights (relays)

>What do you mean by relays?

In a nut shell, relays offer you a remote switch to your lights.  Stock,
the power to your lights runs from the battery to the switch in the dash
and back out to the lights.  If you run high wattage bulbs, this length of
wire becomes a bottle-neck for power to the lights, reducing their
potential effectiveness.  This also becomes very dangerous to the switch,
with the lights drawing lots of power via the dash switch.  The switch will
eventually fail.  The solution is to use the  dash switch to turn on remote
switches (relays) under the hood to activate the lights.  Power goes
straight from the battery to the relays then lights.  Dash light switch
just operates the switch.  A shorter wire to the lights, coupled with a
larger gauge wire, will definitely improve the efficiency of the lights
(Performance).  I heard that even stock lights gain some performance too.
 I used one relay for each beam, 1 low beam H4, 1high beam to the H4, and I
high beam to the H1.  The outside light has two elements so I have one
relay operating each element.

Rodney Noriel

This is true for Fog lights too!