Re: instrument lites

And Josh said:

>All I know is from my own experience which only went a little further than
>yours unfortunately.  I know how it's connected but not how to get it out.
>On both sides of the cluster there are metal holders that make a verticle
>slot which a bar sticking out of the cluster slides into.  They make it
>really hard to pull the cluster up and out over the verticle slots.  I would
>take of the steering wheel first and get a flash light so you can see how it
>goes in there otherwise you won't know what is going on when the cluster
>starts to come loose.  I could reach aroun back and feel the speedo wire but
>I didn't have the dexterity to unclip it.  That's as far as I got.  It you
>get further could you let me know?  I still need to replace the light for my
>clock.  Lata,

I understand your pain, I have been there, done that too. When I forst got
my Scirocco all the dash lights didnt work but for one light on the tach. So
I had to get in there to make everything work again, as it should be. In my
experience, I have found that the easiest way to get the gauge cluster out
is to do the following:
Remove the shelf under the steering column and the cover under the dash. (Be
carefull to remove the clips carefully or you'll break a few too many and it
wont stay up there like it should.) Once youve gotten the shelf and the
bottom cover off, you will be able to see up behind the dash a little
better. Get on your back and put your head on the brake pedal (just
reference only) and you will be able ro reach up there and disconnect the
spedo cable from the back of the cluster. Then remove the electrical clips
from the bottom of said cluster and get out of there. Get in the driver seat
and remove the 2 screws that hold the snazzy little frame in front of the
cluster. Then there are 2 screws that actually hold the cluster into the
dash. Once youve gotten everything loose, lift up and lightly manuver it to
where you get it sideways and can then take it through the steering wheel.
(remember to turn the wheel so the opening is facing the cluster, helps in
getting it out.) I gotta say this also, its a slow proccess, you gotta take
your time and figure it all out on how it comes out, its a very tight fit,
but it does come out, I promise!
Then you can go through the proccess of replacing all the lights in it, like
I did since i didnt want to go through all that again. I think that I also
just stuck it into the hole far enough to hook up the electrical so I could
test the lights before installing it all completely again.
The main reason for removing the botton shelf and cover is mainly to help
with getting the spedo cable installed properly. If you try to do it thru
the dash, it just wont snap in place. (Its been my experience and im sure
someone out there does it easily thru the dash, but not me.)
Instalation in in reverse of removal except check to see if the 2 little
boots are still on the little stubbs that stick out on the left side and
right side or your cluster will rattle! (That sucks dude!!)
Ive had my cluster out a few times, once to replace the lights, once to try
and fix a really annoying oil light buzzer that got fixed by using 20W50
instead of 10W40 and the last time was to put in my 120 mph spedo I got from
an 86' Scirocco and I reused my mileage settings so it would be as accurate
as possible ect...
You just gotta remember to be patient with it, I cant stress this enough,
you can do it, all you need is some time to get to it.

Shawn