Re: Wheel Refurbishment

At 11:11 AM 10/4/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear shawn  All I was doing was trying to help someone with refinishing
>their wheels. I have done this on a few different cars with weels on
>the front the car. It just has to idle so you can sand, polish.
>I also have a jig welded together using a axle stub bearing assy and
>hub I have hub drilled for all sorts of vw rims.

I understand, its cool that you have the tallent and time to make up such
neat jig's to perform polishing and sanding, im jealous! Really I didnt have
a problem with your solution to perform these tasks with the car on stands,
only, I think you might wanted to add that it shouldnt be done at a high
wheel speed and also that this technique isnt reccomended by the manual. I
realize that manuals are always fully full of correct info and we need to
rely on the manual for refference only some times. Just the same, those who
dont know, wont know unless we tell them! its all about educating each
other. Ill tell you what I have learned amd you do the same for me, right?
Some of the small details can be the most important ones to miss out on.
Thats all I was getting at.  :)

>I can spin the tire and rim by hand on the stand or using a buffer.
>It spins real fast once rim starts spinning it is like a gyro
>so you can sand, polish for longer I know a lot of you guys
>probably dont have the equipment to make up this jig so I mentioned
>the polishing on the car technique (wow) I did not expect to get all
>this talk about damaging cv,cvboot,lower a arm
>I have never damaged any part from this technique.
>I have been a master ASE certified tech for the last 15 years
>and if I can try to help anyone with my knowledge it would be a
>pleasure.

I understand this too, but you gotta remember, when you mention techniques
on performing any task, you need to mention the other stuff about why it's
not reccomended ect. I think even tho you dont think its important and think
that you have successfully done it for 15+ years, you should still tell us
about the possible complications and possible damage from over doing it.
Actually, what you did was created a forum for us to discuss the different
methods available to each of us. Dont be sorry and I dont think you made
anybody mad, not at all. On the contrary, be honored to have contributed to
and created what I think was a cool thread! Thanks man!!

Im not saying your doing it wrong either. That was never my intention from
the get go. just so you know.

>I am not a know it all. Their is always new things to learn.
>(like how to spell I suck and I admit it.)
>Thanks to my wife dictionary spell check I get by bearly.
>I admit I can be wrong at times and I love when people correct
>me so I can learn the proper way or get the proper info.
>I love this mail list and the talk of vws.
>I recently bought my 86 16 valve scirocco and love it.
>after rebuilding half the car its like new except for (Idle vibration)
>(ANY INFO ON VIBRATION AT IDLE PLEASE HELP ME)

I dont know didlty about the 16V powerplant, Just my experience with the
idle vibrato. Go through the routine for a vacume leak. I get the feeling it
is in that area. also, check your cold start system and the cold start
valve. Just go through the trouble shooting steps of the bently manual and
it should get you on the right track. Thats one thing I love about these
cars, they are so easy to diagnose, well, my 8V is.........

Shawn