Re: Wheel Refurbishment

David Ian Utley wrote:

> >Wrong! Running the car in gear is not advised with the suspension unsprung.
> >Doing it with the jackstands under the lower control arms would be safer
> >since the suspension wouldnt be as unsprung, the control arms arent designed
> >to hold weight or be used as a jacking point. I know there is a great way to
> >do it, but Im not gonna go into details here.
> >

> Shawn,
>         I must disagree here.  The control arms are not a point where you
> can safely jack up a car.  Although they do support the weight of the car,
> they are designed to do so only through the rest of the suspension.  The
> only parts of the car that are designed to support weight through jacking
> are the round jack supports that every (German?) car has, one at each
> corner.  As to the best way to do this particular work, I would recommend a
> lift, but not everyone has one of these in their garage, I understand.  As
> to the method that you use to do this, I would be interested.  Please send
> it to me when you have a chance.
>
> Not wishing to start a flame war,
>
> David
>

>              Original Equipment Marketers
>
>    Serving owners of Volkswagens, Porsches and AUDIs
>    with Original Equipment and Aftermarket parts at
>                 Discount Store Prices.
>
>  Techtonics, Autotech and soon to come, New Dimensions
>
>          diutley@telepath.com.....405-364-2102

You can support the car from the lower control arms
when you align a vw with a hunter alignment machine it lifts the car from
the lower control arms and it supports it there preloading the suspention
if you jack up the car you should use the round supports welded to the
floor of the car but you can support with jackstands under lower
a arms with a block of wood between stand and a arm giving it equal
distribution of weight.    john.delaney