Re: Wheel Refurbishment

Sean wrote:

> At 01:42 AM 10/3/96 -0700, you wrote:
> >At 07:17 PM 10/1/96 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >>Jack the front end up start car with both front tires on.
> >>use jack stands dont trust just a jackand be carefull of hands and
> >>fingers.
> >>Put car in gear start with a coarse paper 100 grit not wet sand paper at
> >>first.
> >
> >What?!?!?!? Put it in gear while its on jack stands??? Thats a great way to
> >shitcan all 4 CV joints+ boots.
> >Im not trying to be a nay-sayer on your method but if you were to somehow
> >put the jackstands under the lower control arms without messing them up too,
> >you know, make the suspension sit at almost the level of normal ride height.
> >You want to avoid the unatural twist of the unsprung suspension on your
> >CV's! Besides, Dr. Bently sez not to do it.....
> >
> >Shawn
> >

> >--
> >

> Right- so utilize the jack stands on the body of the car- not
> on the suspension or control arms...
> Also, unless i'm mistaken, front wheel drive cars only have two
> CV joints...
>
> polzul

runing your car on jackstands or with them under the lower A arms
we run cars on lifts, stands all the time to check for noises
some cars to resurface rotors the strut assembly holds the lower controll
arm so if you look at the axle it is almost strieght cv joints have a lot
of movement in them i dont know if you have ever had one apart but by
running a car on stands or lift you will not bottom stub axle to ball cup
so their is no friction no damage
you can jack a car up under lower a arm you should use a block of wood
so it supports evenly