Re: Urgent questions

On Sat, 23 Nov 1996, Benton Yoshida wrote:

> 1.  The car's speedometer is way off.  On the freeway, it indicated 85mph
> when I was actually going an estimated 60.  It was similarly showing about
> 65 to 70 when I was keeping up with traffic on a road which usually flows
> at 45-50.  He's changed from 13" rims to 14" teardrops with 60 series tires
> which he claims are larger in diameter than the stock units.  He says he
> thinks that this accounts for the speedometer differential even though I
> know that a larger outer diameter should lead to a lower indicated speed.
> Any idea what's going on here?  I forgot to check if the speedometer needle
> was just displaced by 20mph but I don't think so.  I wasn't thinking so I
> didn't check the tach too carefully but I think it was indicating around
> 2500 in 5th on the freeway which is in the ballpark for the stock tranny.

I have no idea about that one; larger wheel radii should indeed lead to
a lower indicated speed (although if the tires are 185-60/14 the radius
should be nearly the same as the stock 175s).  Does the needle jump around
at all?

> 2.  When I fired up the car from cold, the tach showed around 800rpm but
> when it warmed up it indicated almost 1500.  He says that the mechanic told
> him that there is some problem with the cold start valve but that it would
> cost $400 to fix so he didn't do the fix.  Could some quick fix to get
> around a bad cold start valve produce this symptom?  I thought the cold
> start valve was just a fancier injector--I can't believe this is a $400
> part, even with labor.

If it just needs to be replaced, I know that a friend picked on up at a
yard for $40 or so - not hard to replace.

> Of course I broke the one cardinal rule of buying used cars and I went to
> take a look at it at night.  But it looks clean (however the steering wheel
> is offset about 30 degrees although I didn't detect any pull to one side)
> with 110,00 indicated miles and an asking price of $900.
>
> I want to take a look at it Sunday morning and possible make an offer to
> him.  Should I pass or play?

If there's no rust that's not too bad.  The afore-mentioned friend and
I looked at a car at night (he bought it that night, for $500), and the next
day found terrible rust on the rocker panels and floor...  I bought one
several months ago ('81 S) for $700; it had an excellent body but the motor
was worn out enough that I've replaced it with a $400 1.8l JH (almost
finished with that, story to follow soon).

Kevin Wenzel - Director of Network Operations                   privateI, LLC
kwenzel@privateI.com                                Internet and Web Services
KB0MQM                        28.8 PPP/Shell Dialup and Private Port Accounts
                    ***  http://www.privateI.com/  ***