Re: Leaking (posted to r.a.vw.w, also)

At 11:41 AM 11/20/96 -0800, you wrote:
>At 09:35 AM 11/20/96 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>Holidays are coming up so I need some inexpensive quick fixes.
>

>Aint that the truth......
>

>>1.) First of all, who knows what sort of  solvent  I should  use to
>>rid the windshield of its coating of Armor-All?
>

>I believe Armor All (Hate it, its bad for the car...) is an oil bassed
>product. Any kind of cleaner (409, windex) should clean it off. Use
>newspaper to scrub the glass with the cleaner and it should come right off.
>It pisses me off to test drive a car and the interior is a greasepit! Rgh!!

I haven't been successful with Windex type products but maybe I just need to
keep trying. However, I would NEVER put 409 on glass! It etches glass giving
it a frosty appearance. Sean, you are usually a great help!

{everybody: keep those suggestions coming in.}

>>2.) Before I start trying to fix the roof, does anyone know of any
>>other source of interior leaks that are common on this year and model?
>>3.)And if I have to do a quick fix on the roof, will I cause more
>>trouble to myself by just trying to seal it with some silicon in order
>>to get me through the winter?
>

>Sounds like the old sunroof is now a rain roof. The only real fix is to FIX
>it right the first time. It could be just the rubber needs replacing. Either
>way, im sure you want to use the sunroof again so sealing it with silicone
>or something would only be more work in the long run. Short term fixes might
>include a cheap car cover......

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll stay away from the silicon.

>>I've been following the thread on the heater/ac control levers. I know
>>I'll have to take the dash apart and see what kind of condition the
>>unit is in. Nothing can be done about that until this weekend.
>

>Joan, you dont have to take the dash apart, just pull out the center
>console. its pretty easy to do. You dont even have to remove the console to
>get to the levers, just pull it out 6" or so and you will have access.
>Are your plastic lever arms broken or is it the piece that the arms plug
>into? You do know they just pull right out. (Its how you remove the
>environmental control panel to unscrew the control levers. dont forget to
>remove the twist knob for the fan speed.) If thats the case, just go to one
>of those "Pick Yur Part" junkyard and stock up on a couple-three.

There are two levers, right? The upper one works but the lower one that
controls temperature is missing.
Thank you! I needed some good news. You're a pal -- and a very knowledgeable
one.

Thanks,
Joan