Re: A/C Control Lever

>>I'm wondering if the whole assembly reallly does have to be replaced, or can I
>>just fit a new control lever on? Seems like I should be able to.... >>

>Tell you what I would do, try to find one in a junk yard, buy it for like $10,
and take the part(s) that you need and put them on >yours.  Hopefully you can
replace that broken part.
>Tim :)

Well, Turns out, when I looked at the entire assembly, the whole thing does need
to be replaced, and the guy gave me a reasonable deal on a used part from his
lot.

The Deal is: The two control arms (temp, and vent/ac) pivot at the same point on
the control unit. They have angled arms that then control the servos on opposite
sides on the unit (temp on left, right for vent). There's a white plastic
bushing of sorts that separates, the two arms, and holds them together (if I can
say that!). That piece broke, so the top lever is free-floatin'. You can't
really replace the "bushing" piece, so the whole unit comes out......
Bentley has a great photo and description of the thing, so, sorry if this is old
news for folks.

New Question: When I first joined the list a couple months ago, someone was
talking about a bad cold air valve or something causing incorrect distribution
of air from the dash vents; heat fromt the center, and cold from the sides. If
anybody knows what the specific piece was that needs to be checked, I'd
appreciate the Word. I get the same problem, and figure I can replace/fix up the
valve while I've got the panels pulled.

TIA!

rich
87 '16v