Re: 16v vs 8v

> Date:          Sat, 9 Nov 1996 00:22:55 -0800
> To:            scirocco-l@privateI.com
> From:          Shawn Meze <Trnsfrma@ix.netcom.com>
> Subject:       Re: 16v vs 8v

> At 04:00 AM 11/9/96 +0000, you wrote:
> >I did get in a full out drag race with a 8v gti once, and prior to
> >the drag we were in a 120+ mph race on a local highway.  On the
> >highway I was kicking his ass but he killed me in the drag.  In
> >between the two we stopped on the side of the road an d were talking
> >about our cars.  (keep in mind I never met this guy before in my
> >life)  He told me his car was stock and I assured him the same.  Then
> >we dragged and I lost horribly.  For the next week or so I hated 16 valves
> >and my poor scirocco was cursed like there was no tomorrow.  But then
> >a friend of mine was talking to the kid I raced and found out that he
> >lied to me about his car.  He really had a 2.0 16 valve in it.  Can
> >you believe a fellow vw owner would blatantly lie like that!  Anyway
> >after I finished apoligising to my car I felt pretty proud that I
> >fended off a 2.0 16v on the highway.
>

> Not that im questioning your story but, he should of out
> MPH'ed (<--------Look a new word!) you on the highway. Maybe he had a very
> close ratio tranny and his speed was limited by gears rather than HP/Torque.

I think the reason he did beat me was because we were passing 18
wheelers on the shoulder and cuting accross 5 lanes at a time, passing in
between cars driveing in parellel lanes, and being that I was in
front he might have been driving more defensive trying to keep up
with smashing anything. Still I won but then again it wasnt a
"official" race in anyway, we were just having fun.  Maybe he wasnt
thinking competativly.  It was really fun though.  The most fun I
ever had with that car.

 Just the same, it was kind of chickenshit to tell you it was a 1.8L. Theres
> a huge difference between the 1.8L and 2.0L.
> I kind of had a simular experience with a Rabbit. (before any of my mods)
> When we pulled over he showed me his 1.8L transplant with a dual carb setup.
> He was still having problems with the carbs and said it wasnt running at its
> best. He still passed me with ease even though it didnt handle worth a crap.
> He should have since he had 25 more HP than I did. The other day I saw him
> again. Its been 18 months or so. he didnt recognize my car or me. (Hes a
> stoner) I reminded him of our meeting before and he was stunned. (and
> stoned). He still claimed to have problems with the carbs. This time I
> killed him quite easily.
> I smiled.
> I do love my car even though it need some fixing soon. I found out I lost
> one of the bolts to the left brake calipar. My shifter, radiator fan switch
> and clutch cable will get replaced on monday. Still, I do love my car.
>

> Shawn
> 86' Jetta GLi
> 82' Scirocco GTi
> The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
> best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!

                           Jay

VW Scirocco 1988 16v
VW Scirocco 1980