Re: Stalling and power steering??

Mute0,

I used to have that same problem with my '84.  I gave it a tune up, messed
with the idle stablalizr valves, replaced all of the vacum lines, cleaned the
throttle body, etc.  As it turned out, my idle was set too low.  The tach in
my dash will read 1,000rpm when it is actually 750rpm!!  I found this out by
hooking up an extenal tach.

Now, the reason why this would cause you irratic idle is, the idle stabalizer
valve is designed to cut on and deliver extra air into the intake when the
idle gets too low. I believe it cuts on at about 800 + or - rpm.  Now, if you
set your idle by the tach in your car at 1,000 rpm, and that tach is off by
300 or so rpm, then you wold actually be setting the idle at 700.  So, what
will happen is, when you let the car idle, it will do what it is told, and
try to go donw to 700 rpm.  BUT, since the auxillary air valve is designed
NOT to let the idle go below 800 (or whatever it is) the it will open and let
more air into the system until the idle is restored to above 800.  Then, the
valve shuts off, and all the motor is trying to do is drop the idle to when
it was told to drop it to, 700.  This is a cycle.  It just keeps doing it
over and over again.

I hope this helps.

Tim :)