Re: your mail

> Date:          Sun, 3 Nov 1996 15:49:45 -0500 (EST)
> From:          "John K. Gates" <john@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
> To:            scirocco-l@privateI.com
> Subject:       Re: your mail

> On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Mike wrote:
>
> >         I have a '84 Scirocco and it has been running on the hot side.  Also I
> > have a question about the gauges.  I have a VDO gauge below the heater
> > controls and the water temp gauge by the tach.  I assume the VDO gauge
> > is also a water temp, the question is where is the sending unit??  On
> > the engine?   I replaced the thermostat and it still runs hot.  And
> > the fan goes on.  How would I know if I need a new radiator?  The
> > stock gauge reads between 50%-75% and the VDO gauge read between 100
> > to 115.  To me this is high because it used to run at 90 degrees.
>
> The gauge in the tach is water temp; should run 1/2 to maybe 3/4 although
> I've heard guys say here not to worry until the red light starts to flash

I just thought that I would mention that in my experience the
blinking red light has nothing to do with the temperature of the car
and is a indicator of when you are low on coolant via simple lack of
not paying attention to th fluid levels or the engine busting a
coolant hose and spewing the lifesblood (nice wording huh) of the
vehicle everywhere

> when you're driving in hot weather... The center console gauge is oil temp;
> You might be a little warm at 115 but if you're beating the car in hot weather
> or hauling ass for extended periods of time it's probably normal; I've seen
> mine approach 120 when doing 80-85 for 1/2 hour - 1 hour in summertime (aren't
> radar detectors great?)... Actually it's very healthy for your oil to run over
> 100 degrees C, it boils the condensation and some contaminants out of it
> which is good especially with synthetics...
>
> John K. Gates, UNIX Systems Administrator/Software Engineer
> john@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, http://www.cs.sunyit.edu/~john

                           Jay

VW Scirocco 1988 16v
VW Scirocco 1980