Re: A1 Clutch replacement?

"Michael Dobbs" <tornado@loop.com> wrote:

>After a good long life, it's about time to replace the original clutch on
>my '84 GTi. Bought Sachs clutch kit with a release bearing, pressure plate
>and friction disc. After having read both the relevant Bentley and Haynes
>sections, I'm beginning to wonder whether I should pass on this procedure
>and get a real grease monkey to do it (est. cost is about $200 for 4
>hours).

That's a great price!  I was quoted a low of $285 including
resurfacing the flywheel.  I was planning to replace my clutch, but a
blizzard upset my plans this weekend.  I blew the clutch completely
trying to move the car in the mess.  Putting in the clutch in 2 feet
of snow is not an option, so I had to take it to the dealer who is
charging me $313.50 NOT including flywheel resurface.  (The $285 shop
is an hour and 30 min away).

Good thing I didn't try to do it.  The books all say that I have the
210mm clutch, but when they took it apart it had the 200mm in it.
Some fool in the past (not me, I'm the current fool) put in the
smaller clutch for some reason.  The VW guy calls me to say I had to
get a new clutch, that he didn't think the 210 flywheel would fit.
Now I'm really worried about the kind of work they do if they don't
even know what will work for the car !!

So I had to convince the guy that the 210 will fit and that it was the
best thing to do.  Then I had to get a used flywheel and have it
resurfaced.  Result is that instead of getting the car back in one
day, I'll get it tomorrow afternoon :(

If I had done it myself I would have been in a pickle too, as I only
have time during weekends to do a job like this.  If you're the
original owner, you shouldn't have surprises like this.

I'm just REALLY worried about the quality of the job these idiots are
doing.  I bought good original VW stuff, but who knows if this guy
will seal the threads so oil won't leak, etc.  I even went as far as
buying new bolts with that blue stuff on them.  Is this blue stuff a
sealer?  I sure hope so!  Pray for me please :=)

>2) Since this is my only transportation, if I need or break something it's
>tricky to get to the parts store.

These guys are giving good advice, this shouldn't be a problem.

>3) (and finally the most important concern) Having the wife say those
>terrible words "I told you so!" when it all goes horribly wrong.

With all the wisdom you're getting here, you should be the one who can
say this :-)

Rick
'85 Scirocco Wolfsburg