Re: VW Trivia

> Need answers to some questions so I can make small talk during cocktail parties:

Why talk? just keep your mouth stuffed with cocktail weenies and
smile alot....

> A.      With the engine off, why is it possible to move the shifter from
> gear to gear in my '81 without pushing in the clutch?  I can't do it in
> other car makes.

This was a request by the VW mechanics. You see, It was very
difficult to come by car seat coveres during the war-era, so instead
of soaking the seat with grease and grime they could just reach in
and put the car in gear. For those that were actually lucky enough to
afford car seat coveres, it made it very difficult to shift in gear
while still holding your pint of ale. So they all agreed that when
the engine is off there is no harm in putting the tranny into gear.

> B.      The water cooled VW engines (the early ones at least) make a
> distinctive metallic "ringing" sound during acceleration.  Sounds tres
> cool.  I've always wondered what produces this characteristic sound.  Is it
> the exhaust?  My '81 which allegedly has a 2" cat back Eurosport system
> still makes the sound so I'm guessing that the sounds coming from ahead of
> the cat.

Thats the sound of your pistons rubbing against the block, have you
tried adding oil to your car??

> That's enuff for now, b--------

there, that should keep you the life of the party =]

Ryan
'87 16v Scirocco
'86 8v Scirocco soon to be (G60 Rieger/GTO) =]