Speedos

Benton Yoshida asks:
>I saw Motometer (I think) units which look exactly like my VDO--are they
the >same?

For your purposes, yes.  Internally they are different, having come from
different companies, but they are the same externally and are interchangeable.
Both of these use the screw-on speedo cables in the Mk I cars.

Sadly, they both suck about the same :)

Jason Rappaport asks:

>How difficult is it to get into the speedo?

Heh, heh, heh...  Well, its been several years, but since I've done it so
many times now it *seems* easy at least.  Here's my way of getting the
cluster out.  The web page Ilias mentioned
(http://weber.u.washington.edu/~hornung/vwtext.dir/speedo.fix.html)
describes pretty well what to do after that.

1.  Remove radio.  (sounds easy, doesn't it?)
2.  Remove A/C control knobs and bezel
3.  Remove Headlight switch by reaching behind and squeezing mounting tabs.
4.  Ditto for the Oil press / Brake / CAT warning lights.
5.  Remove switches above radio opening by squeezing mounting tabs.
5.  Unscrew philips head screws that attache dash to support.  One screw is
    located inside the radio hole, to the left.  Others at the top of the
dash.
6.  Move windshield wiper switch to lowest position.
7.  Gently pull instrument cluster lose.  Should move at this point, but
don't pull all the way out yet.
8.  Reach behind speedo and remove cable from speedo.
9.  Reach behind speedo/tach and *gently* remove electrical connector.
10. Cluster should now pull out.  You will have to rotate the cluster
    somewhat to get around the steering wheel, etc.

Further note (not that you asked...)  I've fixed the same problem in other
VDO and MotoMeter equipped cars including Audis and Porsches.  Just a stinky
design that has universal appeal, I guess.

Joe.