water temp gauge going crazy

This morning I had to drive in a lot of large puddles.  Just before
getting to work, I watched my water temperature gauge shoot up and
stay pegged at its highest point.  The warning light also started
blinking.  I stopped the car and checked the water level, but it
was fine.  At lunch I went out and turned the key.  The warning
light blinked and then turned off like it should, and then soon
after it started blinking again and the needle again went to its
maximum point.  This is an '88 16valve.  I haven't had it long but
I know that there a lot more electronics than my old 82 Rabbit.
Is this most likely an electronic problem or is the sensor gone
bad??

Michael Cotsford
cotsford@ricks.enet.dec.com