starter probs

I got in my car this morning and started it up...... no prob.  Then
it stalled (not unusual since it got down in the low 20's) so I
turned off the ignition to restart.  Turn the key .... nothing.  But
I hear this strange noise from under the hood.  The damn starters
sitting there spinning!  So I yank the battery terminal off to get it
to stop.  Slide it back on and she's spinning again.  So I get the
trusty Bentley's out and see that terminal 50 is for the ignition
switch.  I take it off, hook the battery back up and it's still
spinning.  (BTW, all this spinning is happening without the starter
engaging the flywheel, in case you were wondering.)

All this tells me that I need a new solenoid.  I know most of the
list members are at work, but I'm wondering if it's gonna be a big
deal to get a solenoid, or if everyone (ie, dealer) is gonna tell me
I need a whole starter.  If that's the case, I will probably just go
to a junkyard.  I have about an hour before I take my GF to work and
start looking for parts (it's 6:45 am here), so I'm hoping maybe I'll
get a little feedback before I leave.

If I can find a solenoid, any idea what a decent price is?
TIA

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg
Oak Harbor, WA