Quest for a license-re-revoking amount of power

Hey boys (and girls).

I gots major modification woes.

I dunno what to do.

Ok, to start off--I have that Oettinger Intake cam.
I was just gonna take it to VW and have them throw it in, but I figured it
would cost a fortune.  So, I asked a friend who is "engine-smart" to lend me
a hand.  He said that it is a major operation and that I should do
everything that I would so much as consider doing all at once, so we can
seal up the engine for years to come and not have to go digging in there to
add on another little piece every 3 months, ya know?

So I thought--what do I ultimately want to put in this engine?
TWO POINT ONE LITERS OF VOLKSWAGEN POWER

Anyone heard anything about this?  Cost?

I decided against a used shortblock, because mine only has 50k on it.

So, how do I go about doing this?  My friend is NOT interested in doing this
conversion with me, and I do NOT have the "know-how" or probably even the
tools for such an operation.  There is a VW performance shop near this
guy--Autobahn Motorsports.  I figure I'll save a few bucks if I disassemble
at my friend's house, drop off shortblock at A.M., pick up at a later date
(how long do you think it'll take?), reinstall shortblock, install cam, new
belts/gaskets/bolts etc., seal 'er up.

How does that sound?

Do you think an operation like that wouldn't be worthwhile if my head wasn't
ported/polished?

Should I just say "to hell with it" and give A.M. my car and cam and 2.1 kit
and tell them to "Go to town!"?

Gimme the low-down, kids!

Chris Taylor
'87 16v Scirocco [garaged 'til fair weather prevails]
'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee

West Ambler Johnston Hall
Virginia Tech Campus
chtaylo4@vt.edu  [offline from Dec.19 to Jan 12--write to aol.com address]