Re: Running on 3 cylinders?

> From:          Mute0@aol.com
> Date:          Fri, 13 Dec 1996 23:57:32 -0500
> To:            scirocco-l@privatei.com
> Subject:       Running on 3 cylinders?

> Hey everyone... Just got my car back (again) and one of the mechanics that
> drove it commented that the engine feels like its going on 3 cylinders.  Does
> anyone know how this might feel? What might be the most likly way to find
> out? Dist? Plugs?
> Thanks!
> --

Usually, there is either oil coming out of the exhaust or strong
smell of gas (that didn't get burned).

A good way to check if your running on 3 cyl, remove ONE BY ONE each
plug.  When I say one by one, it means removing, waiting and plugging
it back in!  If the engine stalls or goes into a weird cycle then
that cylinder is working.   If there is NO response when you unplug a
spark plug cable, then it's either the spark plug, the distributor,
the rotor, the wire or something inside the block (rare).

Good luck,

Frank