Re: adjusting linkage...

At 10:13 PM 12/13/96 EST, you wrote:
>Hi guys, I just wanted to let someone know.
>
>   Yes, you can adjust linkage.  I have done it a few times in sciroccos, A2
>  GTis, and 2 Rabbit GTis.  It is annoying as hell however, because usually its
>  trial and error.  VW does make a tool that you lift up your shift boot and
>  place this sorta jig down there and it lines up the sifter to the right spot.
>  I've never gotten to use one though so I dont know what its like.  Anyway to
>  adjust the linkage you just jack up the car, slide under there and where the
>  rod comes up towards the engine/tranny there is a splined end with a sorta
>  clamp thing connecting to the rest of the linkage.  You loosen that nut/bolt
>  and you can move the parts seperate,  center the shifter and pop the tranny
>  into neutral.  tighten it up and try to drive it.  Sometimes it hard to get
>  reverse in the right place and I've even entirely had 1st/2nd disappear under
>  the reverse lockout thing.  It only went easy once for me and the other times
>  I got to swear and get really pissed, wish you better luck.  The annoying
>  part is repeated jacking up the car.  I know, you think you can tell what
>  gear your're going into but this is not always true.
>
>Kyle
>'86 8v GTi

Thanks Kyle. I meant to send that post to Joan, origionally it was a
response to a post she sent me regarding a sloppy shifter. I had
replied to a bunch of "list" postings and got carried away with
"Copy-pasting" the damn Scirocco address and ended up sending this
private message to everybody. (Thanks again Kev!)

Shawn