Re: 16v Bumpers for sale?

At 11:00 PM 12/12/96 +0500, you wrote:
>        I just wanted to make two points:
>
>1.      Just about everybody wants to buy used Euro bumpers, they're like
>the Recaro seats, everybody wants them, nobody can find them.

Thats absolutely true. I was lucky when I got mine. A guy at the Autotech car show
approached me by my car and asked me if I wanted to buy a pair for $280. Go figure,
sometimes they land in your lap!

>2.      The 16V bumpers are the same as the 8V bumpers, at least my and
>Chris Taylor's bumpers are the same, it's just a U.S. regulation thing.
>Euro bumpers do not meet the U.S. regulations for crash protection.  On the
>other hand I made some homemade bumper substitutes that used the stock
>covers pulled in about 2 inches and the car survived a hit to a Ford LTD
>with no damage, just mangled the angle steel I used to make the bumpers, but
>that's a $7 dollar repair.

>Dan Ruddick

Thats right also, there might be some visual differences (red trim, silver trim,
black trim) but they are the same smashers.
Another note on bumper mods is I have seen some kids here in the land of sun with
the stock bumpers on the car but they have (get this) drilled holes in the shock
dampner and drained the fluid out and pushed the bumper all the way in. Although it
looks kinda cool, its pretty stupid IMHO. Why keep all that weight on both ends of
the car when you could easily fabricate a couple brackets to bolt right in to where
the stock mounts are. Those dampners are heavy! Hey wait a minute.... I could
fabricate the brackets and make a fortune underminning the Euro bumper market with
US legal bumpers!
Excuse me..............my phone is ringing......

Shawn