Re: replacing resistor in interior fan

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Josh Clark wrote:

> Has anyone done this on a Scirocco?  THe Bently is a little obscure as to
> the location and how to replace it.  I need to because only the 4th speed
> worked on my
> 83 fan and now it is dead too which doesn't help much in the Winter.  Thanks
> for the help,
> --

(Not a job to look forward to.)

Take out the plastic tray. There you will see a long plastic black
cover: you need to take that off to get to the fan. That
cover is tightened to the chassis by 4-5 screws (it's been a
few months since I did it so I can't remember).
Go inside the car, on the passenger side, and take off the thingie that
covers the AC hoses+vacuum lines and is above the passenger's feet and
below the pass. side of the dashboard. That cloth-like object is screwed
to both the dash and to the chassis. Once you take that off you will be
able to see 2-3 screws that hold the plastic cover that covers the fan. I
think it is those screws as well as 1 screw on the other side (dr. side)
as well as a little post around the middle that you have to deal with
(yes, I know I sound vague but if you look at the area you will
understand). It is basically common sense: you wiggle the box and see
where you meet resistance --> there is a screw there --> take it off :-)
You will also have to disconnect the two vacuum lines that go inside the
car.

Now that you have taken the covers off, you can see the _other_ covers
beneath which is your fan. Those should be no problem to carefully
pry off. Now you can see your nice 4-resistor package that is attached to
the fan. Since no speed works, you will have to get a new resistor pack.
And it would be my bet that the dealer does not sell the pack separately
from the fan (ie, you have to pay the ~$300 for the fan, in order to get
the $1 resistor pack) --but you never know, so ask. So, you have two
basic knowledge of electric circuits you can easily figure out how the
current goes into and out of the pack, and then solder your own
4-resistor pack (the values for the resistors are printed on your pack).
Then again, you might be lucky and the pack just might be loose and thus
disconnected from the fan (I really doubt that).

Oh, and buy some sealing caulking to replace the old one that the plastic
cover sat on.

Ilias