Re: Hey, I'm new!!!

In a message dated 96-12-04 09:06:05 EST, twotal@waverider.co.uk (Ken
Davidson) writes:

<< I've yet to check compressions - what do I look for to diagnose a gasket
 problem? >>

Hello and wecome to the list!  :-)

I too would suspect the headgasket to be the culprate.  The best way to check
this is with a cylender leakdown test.  I good shop should be able to do this
for you.

With a blown headgasket, the oil will not allways get emulsified.  It really
just depends on where the leak happens to be.  For examply, I am restoring an
'81 diesel Rabbit (I'm in the U.S.) and its headgasket is leaking OIL
extremely badly from the rear.  The oil is not mixing with the coolant.  Now,
I feel I must elaberate on why the headgasket is in fact leaking.  The past
owner (actually the guy I sold the car two just about three years ago.  I got
the car back again after it had been abandoned the the state told ME to come
and get it!  I was more that happy to get the car back) at some point removed
the head.  When he reinstalled it back onto the block, instead of getting a
new headgasket, he used orange sylicon gasket material.  What a putz!!! ;-)

Well, that was just my $0.02 worth.  Again, welcome to the group!  We are
more than happy to have you!  Feel free to ask any questions you have.  None
of use really know what we are talking about, but we will give you our best
educated guess!!  ;-)  JK

Tim :)

'84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco