Re: few questions to VW gurus :-)

>1- When it's real cold, it's hard to shift.  Is this typical of VW ?
>Do I need to replace the oil in the tranny?  And no I won't put it
>where the hole for timing is!!

        I had this problem with my old rabbit once, I changed the tranny oil
and it went away.  VW says that you shouldn't have to change that oil, but I
say that it can't hurt.

        I just put Red Line MTL Synthetic gear oil in my scirocco tranny
last week.  The difference is fantastic, the gear box is quieter and shifts
more smoothly. The change was real easy to do with  once I got a 17mm Allen
key.  The tranny only seemed to take about 1.5 quarts of fluid, which
annoyed me since i'd been told that it used 3 and now I have a bunch left
over, but probably not enough to do it again.

        An amusing story, the previous owner to the rabbit i used to have
once put four quarts of oil down that hole on the bellhousing, nothing like
a good clutch lubrication.