New here, some questions

 Hello,

 I am new to this list and have a few questions.

 I recently picked up a 1987 16V Scirocco. I have driven it
 now for 3 months and over 2000 miles. I have waited this long
 to get familiar with its behaviour. So far everything seems
 fine. The car had 68,000 miles at purchase time.

 The questions I have are regarding

 1) Gear Shift: Somehow the position of this shifter is a
 little weird compared to my Passat. It seems that the
 shifter is not only not centered in its position but also
 that the motions of the linkage are a little at an angle
 with the vehicle centerline. Is this normal or maybe there
 has been work done previously. There is no drawback really
 as I am now quite used to it.

 2) This cars engine definitely has two personalities. I am
 guessing it is either the fuel pump or engine computer that
 causes this behaviour. Whenever I have driven this car for a
 time, and then when I am at a stop light idling, I can make
 the rpms actually go down when I step on the gas. This happens
 intermittently and the only drawback is that there is loss
 of power on accelerating from a stop. I
 have found can be rectified by turning the engine off and
 then restarting. Then it works fine.

 3) Does anyone sell just the glass for the power mirrors on
 this car. The cars had damaged mirrors when I bought it and I
 was experimenting on prying the glass out. But I used the
 wrong manual and ended up cracking both glasses. I find
 that the mechanism is simple to disassemble and assemble but
 no one(not even the junkyard) will sell me only the glass. I
 have to buy a complete assembly.

 I am happy to find this mailing list and will be grateful
 for any information coming from the fellow owners.

 	Pushkar

 1987 Scirocco 16V (Bought Used) (Daily Driver )
 1992 Passat GL    (First Owner) (Weekend and Long Haul)