Re: Doh! I hit a curb - now what..........

The easiest thing to do is take it to a body shop and take advantage of the
'ol free estimate.  The one I went to put it up on a lift and told me
everything that was broken on it.  Some things are obvious, some are not.
Before I went there, I fixed all but the strut assy.  I couldn't think of
anything else to fix, and I was still having problems.  I thought--oh
no--frame damage.  They looked at it and said the frame looks okay--fix the
strut assy and all should be good.  They were right.  It takes a trained eye
sometimes.  Then again, my accident was more dramatic than yours--my wheel
was pressed up against the back of my wheel well, so it was obvious that
there was serious bends.  Take it to tha shop.

>I'm going to go home and check Bentley for Steering Knuckle and Driveshaft
>but if you don't mind my ignorance, what's the steering knuckle? How do I
>check if it's gone to the junkyard in the sky?

It is what the bearing is mounted to. It is also what connects to the strut
assy, via the special wheel alignment bolts.

>The rim - I drove after hitting the curb for a week or so, city and highway
>and didn't notice any problems - no shimmy or pull.  Doyathink I managed to
>spare my little 'ol GTI rims?  How can I check the rim?

If you don't see any damage, chances are--it's okay.  Internally bent rims
come from potholes.  Curb-eaten rims are CLEARLY visible from afar.  There
was a BIG chunk of MSW taken outta mine.

>The strut housing - doyathink a straight edge (a level for example) is
>sufficient for checking whether the strut housing is still straight?  Do I
>need to get any more precise than that?

I suppose...  Body shop would do okay, too.

>Control Arm - same question as the strut housing - is a straight edge good
>enough?

I suppose...  Body shop would do okay again here.

>As far as the strut goes - this is starting to sound like an excuse to
>upgrade :)  I've got scottish blood in me - I have to have an excuse to
>spend.......hmmmm, I don't suppose I might've *wanted* to hit that curb
>(subconsciously, of course).......

Performance struts/shocks are extremely nice, and only pennies more than
stock, as long as you stay away from adjustable.  You don't sound like a
speed racer like myself so this is what I'll recommend for the mild racer:

If your car is lowered or has intentions of it:  Boge Progas
If your car is not lowered w/ no intention of it:  Boge Turbogas

Get an alignment for the hell of it, too.

Any more ?'s--send them my way.  Lotsa Luck

Chris Taylor
'87 16v Scirocco

West Ambler Johnston Hall
Virginia Tech Campus