Re: First Solo!

At 08:58 AM 8/30/96 -0600, you wrote:
>I competed in my first solo!  Took my '81 S (miserable engine and all) to
>a huge parking lot at Stapleton Airport (Denver's old airport) and........

Congrats on being the newest addicted Scirocco Autoxer! I can remember back
when I went out one day to just see what the car wuld do as stock. $6,000
later my next race is sunday in Pomona, im gonna do the car show/race thing
that "Goodguys" is putting on.......

>I'm very happy with the suspension so far - I've got the Neuspeed sport-handler
>package, with Bilsteins and a 28mm rear swaybar rather than the 25mm.  The
>engine (a transplanted 1.6l) will very soon be replaced with a 1.8l JH!
>Anybody have any tips on doing the swap?  I've got a couple of friends who've
>done it before, but I'm just wondering if there are any common gotchas involved
>with it.

 I have dont the JH engine swap in my 82' and can tell you that it is as
easy to do as installing a replacement engine. It simply goes right in!
The only difference is I had to buy a new upper radiator hose to fit due to
the water outlet from the head being moved over between the #3-#4 cylinders.
I have heard some net-dudes say they just simply cut the existing hose and
it works too. I prefer to have a new hose since I didnt know how old the
hose I had was. Its a good safe prelacement.
Added bonuses to the JH engine are to try and get the following with the
engine if you can:
Get the distributor. (its one of the best for the 1.8L, thats why its in there!)
Also try and get the throttle body too. Im told its a tad bit bigger than
most other stock throttle bodies. (Im told, but it looked the same as the
one I have.)
Get the stock flywheel! Its another good thing to have. Bigger clutch!

I got all of the mentioned for $400 from a 83 GTi. Since the engine was out,
I decided to go ahead and freshen it up a little. I added a G-grind (HOR)
cam, did a complete valve job, shaved the head .40 (Gives me a Comp ratio of
9.2-1) honed and reringed the cylinders.

Stock HP is 90 for this engine, but when you do what i did and add a
tetonics freflow exhaust, HP is somewhere around 115 hp. Plenty of pep. I
have a program that sez I can do the 1/4 mile in 16.1. I want to prove or
disprove the program so this is why im going to the Pomona race on sunday.
They are having both a SCCA type event and a 1/4 drag race. My car is set up
more for the SCCA type events but I would like to know what its got in the 1/4.
If I was too vague in details, E-Mail me and I can get deeper into the swap
if you like. It's easier than you might think! I kept asking myself what was
I missing, it was too easy!

>ps. Pardon my rambling; I just spent the entire night configuring a router so
>I'm a bit loopy...

Huh?? Dont you just press a button and it cut the wood for you???
:)

Shawn

The Quickest, Fastest, Best
looking Scirocco in San Diego!!