Re: Help - clutch failure

At 10:59 AM 8/17/96 -0400, you wrote:
>ok so the cable was torn at the little plastic bearing at the firewall?
>do you mean that the clutch cable was completly torn through or what?
>any suggestions you guys have will help me ALOT!!
>BTW how much $$ to replace the whole clutch?
>thanks again

Clutch replacement, if this is the problem, is about $100 give or take.
Do this:  Get a new transmission end cap ($3-5).  Pull off the old end cap
(destroy it if necessary).  Have someone push on the clutch pedal while you
look in the hole where the plate was.  You should see the fingers
of the throwout assembly pushing the little round throwout bearing.
I am guessing the throw should be at least an inch or more.  If not,
the cable may be worn through (is not pulling enough).  If so, then the
release plate/pressure plate is suspect (hard to believe).  If the
fingers aren't there as Shawn thought, then the problem is somewhat
obvious, though I am not sure about cost/difficulty of this repair.

Maybe the throwout bearing disintegrated?

As previously suggested, it is probably the cable.