OT: New edit of Blade Runner Released in NY and LA

(Replies edited for content and reordered to fit your
screen.)

--- Jeff Toomasson <area53@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 9/27/07, Chris Bennett
> <scirocco16vr32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Does anyone care?
> >> Do I care if anyone cares?
> >>
> > On the big screen?  On DVD?  DETAILS MAN!!!
<snip>
> > I have the original soundtrack on vinyl!

I too have the vinyl Vangelis soundtrack. :])

Here is a run down on the Final Cut:
<http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/br2007/announce.html>

And here is a link to the original film:
<http://imdb.com/title/tt0083658/>

> Can somebody (share) w/ me what the fascination is
> w/ this movie. I watched it once and was
unimpressed.
> I even watched a second and third time to try to
> ascertain what it was about this movie that drew
> such a following...and nothing...

OK, 1st off if you didn't see it way back when it'll
be hard to see what all the hubbub is about.
(Heightened expectations after the fact can set you up
for a let down.)

When this film 1st came out (in 1982!) we hadn?t yet
really gotten used to computer generated special
effects we see today, the big ?matte? shots and the
closer up views melded together to allow a pretty good
feeling of immersion, necessary to have that
?suspension of disbelief? in a fictional universe.

In the original there is a (to some controversial)
voice over by Harrison Ford; this lent a bit of the
old Noir detective film to the futuristic setting,
there were human looking robots walking the surface of
the planet, there were Flying Cars for Chimney?s
sake!, and don?t forget we got:

	Harrison Ford
	Rutger Hauer
	Sean Young
	Edward James Olmos
	M. Emmet Walsh
	Daryl Hannah
	William Sanderson
	Joe Turkel and
	Joanna Cassidy

Not to mention a grip of other character actors and
?little people? to flesh out the background.

Speaking of background did you notice it was dirty? I
mean gritty, grimy, slimy, nasty L.A. underbelly the
whole town over. The sky never got blue and the air
was visible at short range and people just went on
living in it like people will do. This was both
depressing and suitably realistic to people in 1982
still remembering such days in the decade preceding.
Amongst all this was an improbable number of love
stories played out; Frankenstein?s Monster
(Pygmalion), Romeo & Juliet, Cain & Able, etc, etc.

And they had Flying Cars!

This has gotten longer than I had intended and without
being planned it?s all the map and disjointed but Cult
Status has been bestowed on it and that means it
doesn?t have to be ?GOOD All Over!?, it just has to
touch you somehow.

TBerk
"you have to help us JR, you're our best and only
freind..."

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658