What is it about these cars? (includes a reluctant for-sale)

So I really need to sell my cars.  I have a '79 rustbucket and an '80
that has no electrical system.  They're sitting in a parking lot on
the absolute opposite end of the country from me.  Haven't been driven
in two years, but I'm paying for insurance and sitting on a pile of
pretty valuable parts.

I was going to haul the black car ('79) away to the junkyard before I
moved away from Maryland at the beginning of the summer and leave the
blue one ('80) for when I move back east next year.  As I was getting
it ready to take to the junker, I thought, just for fun, I'd put a
battery in and see if I could get it to start.  This thing has been
absolutely abused.  I've never, in 4 years, changed the oil, for
example.  But I cranked it a few times and wouldn't you know she fired
right up.  Wouldn't idle below about 1500rpm, but I adjusted the cable
and drove it around for a bit.

I didn't have the heart to just "throw it away" after that so it still
sits there.

Now I'm getting ready to start paying for my wedding and coming to the
realization that I'm not going to be able to fix either of these cars
up any time in the next few years.  I'm still paying $1000/yr
insurance and still sitting on an expensive cache of parts.  So I say
to myself, I'm going to sell the blue car, scrap the black one, and
start getting rid of the parts.  I'm gonna do it.  I have to do it...

I started writing up a description of the car and parts to send to the
list. I went to my website to link the photos
(http://www.xgtgx.com/Repaint/ and www.xgtgx.com/NewMk1) and when I
looked at them I was just so overcome that I can hardly bring myself
to sell it!   Mind you I haven't seen this car in three months, so
looking at the pictures had that emotional, nostalgic effect, but it's
a damn nice looking car!  Looking at the repaint pictures, especially,
reminds me how much time, blood, sweat, tears, and money I've already
put into it.  Reminds me of the sympathy I have for Julie in her
recent posts.

Now, if anyone is interested in buying a not-actually-running (due to
lack of electrical system) but otherwise rust free Mk1 with a strong
('86 1.8 8V swapped in) motor, decent body, nice-to-very-nice
interior, Borbet Wheels/Tires, and possible purchase of accompanying
(not installed) parts including a P&P'd head, Schrick 272 cam, B&M
Headers + Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, Poly Suspension, Motor Mounts, wheel
spacers, and a few other odds-and-ends, please let me know.  The car
is currently in Annapolis, MD and would need to be towed.  If you're
even sort of interested let me know and we'll talk.

I'd let it go cheap due to it's non-runningness especially with the
purchase of other parts, but I just can't bring myself to actively go
out trying to sell it!  I really really really need to sell it, but I
don't want to!

What is it about this car that has this sort of force over me!?  I
know Chris dealt with this with the Callaway and many other listers
have been in similar situations.  I think that really speaks to the
character of the Scirocco.  I am determined to own nice cars someday.
I am currently driving an E36 M3 and someday I want an Aston Martin.
But when I get my Aston, you'd better believe I'm going to have a
Scirocco or two sitting next to it in the 8-car garage!

-Grant-