[OT] altimeter calibration?

    I've never heard of altimeters being set by using radar to measure
distance over ground but it might be possible.  The way light aircraft and
older large aircraft do it is by measuring static air pressure and comparing
that to a Mean Sea Level pressure setting that you can adjust on the
altimeter.  29.92 inches of Mercury is standard atmospheric pressure.
Inches of Mercury (in/HG) is how all of my altimeters were measured.  If
you're on the ground at 1000ft above sea level and your local pressure is
29.92 then you should read 1000ft on your altimeter.  If you know your
altitude when you hop in the aircraft then you can find you current pressure
by adjusting your altimeter to your local altitude and reading the pressure
measurement.  There are local stations all around the country based at small
airports, navigation aids and other beacons that transmit a recorded weather
message that gets updated regularly.  This is a good place to get your
pressure if you're in an unknown area in uncontrolled airspace.  When you
get above a certain altitude, I think 10,000ft, you're supposed to set your
altimeter to standard atmospheric pressure so that everyone is using the
same basis for measurement.  This is more for commercial aviation to avoid
large differences in pressure settings on long distance flights where two
aircraft may think they have altitude separation but don't because of the
different pressures at different points of departure.  Hope that helps.

      Rave Racer
Current:
'91 Jetta GLI 2.0L 16V
'81 Scirocco Mk1 1.8L 8V Digifant 2