Akebono brake pads

LEF wrote:
> Personally, I'll never use anything but ceramics after putting a set on
> one of my cars.
> I'm not so sure the brand is even important. (I have a sneaking
> suspicion that most-if-not-all pads are made by one or two manufacturers
> anyway, and packaged for the three dozen retailers we give our money to)

Both Akebono and Ate are definitely making their own product and not
rebranding anything.  I had not heard of Akebono before but their
technology and reputation is very impressive.  Almost all tirerack
reviews of both their ProACT and EUROceramic products (different
compounds) are stellar.  tdiparts.com has recently started selling them too.

Geek out [4pg glossy pdf]:
http://www.automotivedigest.com/WhitePapers/Akebono_Ceramic_Friction_Tech.pdf

"...there is no standard definition in North America of what constitutes
a ceramic brake pad or one set of performance standards that
distinguishes ceramic technology."

So the what the box says at the chain FLAPS is no guarantee.

"Compared to semi-metallic pads, ceramic friction technology currently
is not optimized for extreme driving conditions,..."

So ceramic is not as good for track use.  Good, don'need that.

Ate's ceramic has few reviews so they may be newer to the market but I
will take the chance on the rears (no Akebono offering) knowing their
quality well.  I would be interested to know what the box your ceramic
pads came in was labeled.