16v head gasket Q's

Hi all,

I'm replacing the head gasket on my 2.0l 16v. This was prompted by a
hydrocarbon smell inside the coolant expansion tank, mysterious coolant
loss (~1 gallon in 4 days), and coolant spurting from the expansion tank
cap despite a brand new cap. No white smoke from the exhaust, no
mayonnaise in the oil.. but it did run very poorly and erratically when
cold.. mainly the first 30-45 seconds (it would hestitate or stall as soon
as I began to release the clutch). I also noticed a general loss of power
and frequent miss at idle.

I don't remember it doing any of this prior to sometime in July (although
the symptoms developed gradually, not all at once) when a friend was
sitting in the car with the engine running and let it overheat until the
cap blew and the over-temp idiot light came on. I didn't own a compression
tester last Thursday (I just got one yesterday) so I pulled the head
blindly. I felt fairly confident the gasket was blown from the symptoms
above.

Strangely, a chunk of the gasket is missing between one of the bolt holes
and an oil passage, but there is no other obvious damage. I'm not quite
sure what to look for, or even if its possible to see where the gasket was
leaking just by inspection.

The head is being resurfaced at a machine shop.. I've got new gaskets (I'm
using the 2.0 headgasket) and head bolts, but now I'm looking at the block
wondering how clean it needs to be before I re-install the head.

Anyone have recommendations on how to clean it?

If I were doing a complete teardown, I'd think about using something like
scotchbrite pads, but it seems like doing this in my situation might
create abrasive dust that could get in to the cylinders and oil passages..
not a good thing.

I didn't resurface the head when I did the 2 liter swap, and I'm wondering
if that set me up for a headgasket failure. Either way, I don't want to
put it all together this time and find out that its not making a good
seal. Anybody that's been down this road before care to offer me advice?

Thanks,

-Toby