electrical gremlins

On 11:11 pm 10/14/07 levi perkins <subawrxsti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> i got by car running finally but now only sometimes though it will
> die if you let it idle and the dash lights will flicker i think its a
> ground but i was just wondering if any of you have had this happen to
> you before and could give me some advice on where to start  thanks in
> advance

Do you have a multimeter? I'd begin by doing the Bentley test for
alternator function and adequacy of the voltage regulator on the alternator
(which sounds scary but is a piece of cake to replace). Heck, maybe you
have a loose alternator belt, check that with the car off, it shouldn't be
too loose or make any squeals when it is running. Then go from there.
Most likely culprits in the grounds department are from the battery
negative terminal to the frame under the airbox (a delight to get to, and a
perfect spot for corrosion) and from there to the transmission. There are
others, but those ones are the usual troublemakers. And take a look at your
battery connections, sometimes they get cracks in the connectors and don't
squeeze the terminals well, or they look like some sort of spooky green
cave formation is growing on them. That green crusty stuff needs to be
cleaned off if it's there. There are just so many options. Is the car
idling high enough to stay going? (like 900 rpm or so?)
Cathy