Possible buying a MKI......maybe looking for a really nice one.

Jim, buy the already restored car.  Don't be afraid to drive it.
You've almost worked yourself into that proverbial corner with the MK2, you
have something that is so uber clean the driving, exposure to dirt n' grime
outweight the enjoyment (armchair psychoanalysis)
So -if you get an unrestored mk1 it's going to cost you and arm and a leg to
get it to your standards, and you might not really enjoy the process.
But the 'restored' mk1 and put your own 'Jim' touches on it an drive it!
GP