Use of foam as insulator?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark F. [mailto:mk1mark@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 11:34 AM
To: julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: A Org, Scirocco
Subject: Re: Use of foam as insulator?

On Nov 8, 2007 10:08 AM,  <julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I remember a long time ago a discussion of using the expanding foam to
fill the voids in a car to reduce sound and heat.

> Any body remember this?

Utley was looking into this, but I don't think he followed through.
David, do you still have the info?  I was considering using it on my
75...

If it's a closed cell foam (won't absorb water), and has an adhesive
property (seals completely against 'walls'), I don't think water
should be an issue...

Later,

Mark.

Here are two threads on Vortex about it, the bottom one has a bit more info.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1681937

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1101373

I have not followed-through, but need to look into it more.  Pulled the dash
out of the pickup, goddamn that thing is noisy.  I need to do something more
than just dynamat, or it's cheaper sibling, b-quiet.com.

As Mark mentioned, water won't be an issue if you used closed-cell foam, as
in what they use in making boats.  The only way water would get in there
then would be if you regularly forded a body of water.

As a precaution, do NOT use the foam in a can.  It is NOT closed cell, and
it WILL cause your car to rust.  Someone did not heed my warning, and their
truck is now full of rusted dirt...

I would love to treat the truck, I have two cavities in mind.  The one
directly behind the dash, and the other at the drivers/passengers feet.
However, money is as tight as it has been since I have joined the list, so I
am not sure when I can act as guinea pig.  :(

David