F-1 - Whatever happened to these?

From: "Greg Pallett" <greg.rocco@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Brendan Doyle" <lord_verminaard@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "Camron D. Crouse" <camron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Scirocco List" <scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: F-1 - Whatever happened to these?

> Even though I don't know much.. (or anything) about the old Group B racing
> cars, or the Can-Am series, I always was intrigued by them.  In group B the
> power and speed and technology was all growing so fast, drivers couldn't
> keep up!

Yeah, Audi's fault there. The first to effectively combine 4 wheel drive with turbocharging.
Lot of spectators died in that era.

> My main impression about Can-Am  is that towards the end the cars just had
> ridiculous amounts of power.... and this was in the early stages of
> aerodynamics, wings, downforce, etc....

The original Can-Am had almost no rules and there were a lot of technical innovations, interestingly enough mostly from GM engineering via Jim Hall's Chaparrel. But most of it was dominated by McLaren Racing through using the latest reliable technology and good old fashioned preperation. As the cars got faster the rule book got thicker. Sometimes just to ban a car with technology that was "oo expensive" like the Chaparrel 2J sucker car.
Then Porsche and Penske came along with the 917/10 and 917/30 turbo cars and doubled the cost of a competitive car. 1200 HP and they weren't even intercooled! The mainstay aluminum Chevy big block at 800 Hp had no chance. So then they implemented fuel mileage rules that effectively banned the Porsches, but by then everybody had lost interest.
So much for unbridled technological developement.