Brake line repair

On 11/4/07, Nate Mellom <doubt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a leaking brake line on my Quantum Syncro, I was planning on
> cutting out the bad section, getting a new section of line (it's fairly
> straight), and piecing it in with 2 compression fittings.  I've repaired
> fuel lines with compression fittings, but never brake lines.
> I'd rather not replace the entire line (it's a rear line, and
> LOOOOOOONG), would a repair be reliable enough?

Nope.  NEVER use compression fittings on brake lines.  If you must
patch your lines, buy/rent a 'bubble flare kit' (usually labelled as
'metric' flares), and buy some metric bubble flare unions and brake
line.  Conventional wisdom (and iirc the Bentley) says not to use more
than one union per brake line though, so you'll be doubling that with
one patch.  I don't think one extra union is a big deal though, but
anymore than one patch and I'd install a new line...

Later,

Mark.
75
82