Final touches to to 81

Added 4 more pictures http://picasaweb.google.com/ydrogs/81SciroccoBlack
Splurged for full set of Boge shocks with new rubber bumpstops and dust
guards last weekend.  I did not want to invest the money but the ride was
hideous and unsafe.  A job that should have taken a couple of hours ended up
taking more than half a day.  First major problem was that one of the strut
cartridge external threaded caps would not come off.  Ended up taking the
cut off wheel to it and making relief cuts along the cap and pounding it
off.  Then when it came to the rear shocks the passanger side bolt was fused
to the shock (see picture).  Made enough room to get the cut off wheel along
side it and saw the bolt off on each side.  Then Sean noticed the front
brakes were not a matched set.  One 81 larger bannana brake caliper and the
other was a brake from an early scirocco with the square pads.  Explained
why the car pulled to one side when braking.  We scrounged up another
bannana pad brake caliper and pads and upgraded to a set of 8.5" vented
disks that were laying around and bled the brakes.  We also cut 2 loops off
the stock springs to make it look better for the sale.  Just have to get the
cold start issue ironed out this weekend and then it is off to Craig's List.

--
Gordy
MK1 x 5