scirocco 16v woes

Sucks to hear about your tensioner stud falling out :(  I would think
that if the tensioner stud came loose because they did not tighten it
correctly then they should replace it for free.  Also if they over tightened
it and stripped the threads out then it is their fault.  But proving either
one is nearly impossible.

2.0l 16v heads are sometimes easier to come by and have nearly the same
characteristics of a 1.8L 16v head in stock form (
http://vancouver.craigslist.org/pts/326599961.html).  I would think you
could have gotten an entire used 16V engine for $400 (just an example this
guy had the entire engine for $150
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3156178) and just a head for $100
to $200.  Is he doing any work on the replacement head like an angle grind
on the valves seats or porting?  Is he putting new parts into the head like
valves, valve springs, valve guides etc?

I do not use mechanics so I do not know if that is a fair price but if you
do not do the work yourself then you are at their mercy.  I would keep your
old head if he is going to only give you $50 for it.  Can keep it around and
build it up when you get money and the time or just have it for spare parts.

--
Gordy
MK1 x 5