Brake talk - lean me up good.

As I've had the wheels on and off the Scirocco the last few weeks (in
pre-cincy prep!) it's become clear that I'm going to need new brake
pads this summer.
AFAIK the rotors themselves are fine, the stock vented whatevers.  I
had new rotors and pads put on just after I got the car, 4 years and
40k miles ago.
I'd like to take the chance to consider an upgrade.  Would larger
(than stock for an 84) be worth the $$?  What other upgrades are worth
considering, would I need additional new hardware, like calipers or
carriers?
Really, I haven't paid attention to brake-talk in the past cause I
just wan't ready for it yet :)
So, considering I know basically nothing, where should I start researching?

Thoughts, opinions, and sugguestions appreciated.

GP

--
"Fatal mistakes rarely happen, but funny things often do"