From: Brian Wagner [mailto:dagnamit@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:45 PM
To: Dan Bubb
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Master Cylinder - WTF?

Dan,

The theory of stroking does not apply to new or remanufactured (notice I
didn't say rebuilt). The reason it doesn't hold true on these 2 types is the
complete bore has been stroked to resurface it in preparation for new seals.
So in these 2 types there is no rust accumulation in said bore since they
were flushed and assembled machine oil.

Now if it was rebuilt you have a problem, rebuilds generally only replace
the failed part. So if infact a seal was bad on the plunger they only
replace that, not boring it. Now here is where the problem lies, brake fluid
absorbs moisture right. And we all now that you only stroke 1/2  ~ 3/4 the
length of the bore. So as rust accumulates in the 1/4 that is left, so if
you use the pump/hold/floor method the plunger gets into the rusted area.

And since he is installing new I don't think he has that problem.