Anybody with digi I experience?

At first, we didn't think we needed the relay, but we couldn't get the ECU
to respond.  The fuel pump and (fuel pump)relay were working fine before.
After we hooked the digi relay up we did the digi tests again and when we
got to the audible fuel pump step (step 4 I believe) the jumper wire between
pin 3 and pin 14 started to smoke, which drove me to smoke and have
screaming fits.  From then on, 85  and 87 of the pump relay have acted
opposite of how they should.   This should have been done two weeks ago;
it's not rocket surgery.