Mid Grade gas vs High Octane gas - better performance??

My son's 1.8L 16V swapped engine was running pretty good but he felt that it
was lacking power a bit in the mid to higher RPM's  Initially we thought it
might be either running too rich or too lean.  I haven't had a chance to put
a meter on it to find out.  Today he filled it with Mid grade (89 octane)
gas and claims that it pulls strong all the way through the RPM range.  Does
that sound right?  Does that support that it may have been too rich to begin
with and the more volatile fuel is burning better?  I don't want this to
turn in to a science project discussion either so let's keep it at the 5th
grade level.

--
Don Walter - Waukesha, WI
1986 8V Black Scirocco (Daily Driver)