OT: Vista users and wannabe's

I had an Windows XP machine (900 Mhz, 512 RAM) that took a dump and decided to buy a new PC.  Unfortunately I didn't really have much of a choice than to buy a Windows Vista PC.  It currently has 1 GB memory, AMD Dual Core 4200, 320 GB Hard Drive with on board graphics adapter.  The PC out of the box worked great.  The only issues I've had was with the Readyboost flashdrive and an ATI TV card I installed.  Windows Vista doesn't behave well with installing new stuff on it.  I've experienced system crashes, freezes, driver incompatiblities when trying to add new hardware.

  I'm not a power user, so it's performance is okay for me.

  Eric

Chris Bennett <scirocco16vr32@gmail.com> wrote:
  Well you see... I am sitting on the fence about it. I DID buy the
better version of Home in upgrade form. I've installed it and I
retained my xp partition so it gives me the option to boot new or old
versions.

If I want to play Battlefield 2142 I play it in XP with all the
background apps disabled. I have a P4 2.8ghz machine with a gig of
ram and a GeForce 7800 GS OC card and like I said it still lags in xp
if I don't shutdown everything else. In Vista... well they haven't
written a driver for my card yet so pretty much forget about it.
However the old video card seemed to slow down vista but the new one
speeds it up--using native drivers. There has to be something about
Aero and robustness of the 3D card. Maybe it's using video memory for
the desktop? Any thoughts? I know you can disable Aero and improve
performance considerably.

I installed Vista Ultimate via the above mentioned crack and it works
great. No problems thus far. The video card on the libretto is a
little lacking so I can't flip windows but it runs and looks great on
that tiny laptop.

Now I did buy a thumbdrive that was fast enough for Vista to use as a
cache. It bumped my vista score up 5 tenths on memory which went from
4.5 to 5.0 but my overall stayed at 1 because of the video chipset
will never bring it any higher.

Chris

On 3/13/07, Roger wrote:
> cathy get a new MB from ebay to replace yours

> > > Umm, here, allow me to back up Peter with a visual:
> > > http://scirocco.dhs.org/overkill.jpg (just snapped)
> > >
> > > Oh, and for those curious, I run XP. Vista is simply not ready for
> > > prime time.
> > >
> > > Al
> >
> > See, that's what concerns me. My vintage Latitude here is near the end of
> > the run (will need a mother board to fix the failing USB port) and I just
> > bet anything that I'd replace it with will come with Vista all loaded. As
> > if I want to play with the newest and least tested. :(
> > Cathy

80 Scirocco Callaway Indiana Red
87 Scirocco 16v Tornado Red
04 R32 Reflex Silver