[OT] B3 Passat Electrical issues... Oh gurus, help me!

Hi Dan,
    Sent your problem along to a couple of friends; here's one suggestion:

"The problem(s) outlined are still multiple, not just one more. One place to
look for part of it is the wiring that is related to the voltage control
diode (out of inst or fuse box)."

In a wiring schemtic that might show up as "voltage regulator" I think (and
I have no idea how to test it; look in your Bentley manual).
    Also, there seems to be a strong consensus regarding possible ground
problems...

Karl