[OT] B3 Passat Electrical issues... Oh gurus, help me!

You said you sold the car?

Did the current owner realize it had these issues?

Ok... take the lights out of the equation.  Relay them.  If the
circuit is being loaded by the headlights for whatever reason the
relay itself should pull very little current.

I can't say that I know anything about Passats, I can't even say for
sure if I have even SAT in one.  Fuck... for that matter I can't say I
know much about Volkswagens.

However the basic principles for troubleshooting electronics doesn't
change from car type to car type, and this is something I do know a
little bit about--but as always there are loads of more experienced
people on here than me.  Personally I wouldn't take my advice--my
purpose in life is comedic relief.  Do you have a manual for it that
shows circuits?

Or... you could do the painful way and pull all the fuses.  Pull all
the fuses and put one in at a time.  Put the headlight fuse in... do
the headlights work?  What else comes on?  Take notes, pull the fuse
again and go to the next one.  You are going to run into weird shit
sooner or later.  Typically there aren't that many MAJOR circuits in a
car.  The average number of fuses in a car is like 20 or so right.
Sure there are sub-circuits but they piggyback the bigger ones right?

This does sound (like the previous poster said) like grounding issues
almost.  Try something off the wall like putting jumper cables between
the negative terminal and the engine block to see what happens.

Good luck bro, I don't envy that task.
Chris