Sloppy Shifter question.

Ok to recap.

  1) Park car everything cool
  2) Get back to car gear shifter sloppy---> not cool
  3) Advice is given to look at gear shifter swivel ball and assembly under gear shifter boot
  4) Found c-clip that retains spring on gear shifter out of retaning groove
  5) Slide c-clip down to proper placement on retaining groove.
  6) The force regains its balance and the shifter is no longer sloppy

  Thank you All,
  El T

Edward Effinger <Eeffinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      Same thing happened while the car was in the body shop.
  It appears that the fellow there did not know the gear pattern
  (the knob doesn't show it) and had trouble finding reverse, probably
  used a bit of force.

  We ended up adjusting the bracket, it seems a bolt had loosened up a bit and
  also replaced all but the big bushing.
  Good improvement now.
  Ed '81S

>>> Neptuno <neptunonc@xxxxxxxxx> 6/25/2007 4:26 PM >>>
Hello all,

  I return to my car to pick up the kids from camp and found the shifter really sloppy to the point that what engaged 1st seem to me the position of 3rd. Reverse seem exagerated onto the left and pushing down and up to the left seem unessesary. Much of a limp noodle feel to all of this. All gears are engaging, has this happend to anyone before? and how did you correct it.

  Of note when I parked the car it look not quite perfect compared to the entrance to the drive I was near, so I dis-engaged the parking brake and let it roll forward a bit. I did not touch the shifter, nor do I remember it being on gear. Could that have messed things up?

  Thanks,
  El T