More car-nundrems: Electrical/why no starter?

Ok, thanks to some help from Brad Templin, I figured out that it was
an internal short in the alternator that casued my problems with the
convertible.

I am still having problems, though.  A new starter , new alternator,
and new battery-to-starter cables, and I still don't get any starting.

I turn the key to on, and the fuel pump primes, the dash lights come
on. Turn it to start and NOTHING  happens.  Starter doesn't run....

I followed the diagnostics in the Bentley, and I get plenty of
voltage at both ends of Terminal 50 when the key is turned to start.
Bentley says it must be at least 8, and I get 12.

What should I check now? Any ideas?

And seriously, I'm not in the mood for smart-ass answers like "give
me the car."
| Jim Jarrett,McFarland, WI       2006 Golf GLS                 |
| mailto:jarrett@xxxxxxx          81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |
|                                 88 Scirocco  16V              |