To Rebuild or Not To Rebuild

IMHO, if the motor was known good prior to de-commissioning it, at a minimum, I
would try to turn it over manually. Chances are if you didn't store it outside
that it would crank over pretty easily and that the internals are in decent
shape. If it does crank easily, a compression test will give you a good idea of
the motor's overall health. Dropping some fresh motor oil (a couple teaspoons
each?) into the spark holes a couple days before cranking is a good idea.

The next level would be to disassemble it and refresh all the gaskets. Then,
with the motor open, you can really inspect it. Oiling it and manual cranking
would be next.

On top of that, pulling it all apart getting it hot-tanked and replacing the
rings and bearings. You should be able to rebuild the motor for under $500 in
parts including a clutch kit.

HTH, JT