Tranny problems in my A2 - Ron n friends help

... relax, grasshopper, all is not lost...

First, trace through the linkage, from shift lever forward. Your Jetta's
transaxle is mounted transversly, which means that gear shift input goes
through a number of axis changes; you're basically operating the transaxle
by remote control. If there's slop or looseness due to worn/ missing
bushings or bent rods, you lose access to gears.
    Any worn, bent, or damaged parts in the linkage can cause problems.
Depending on what specifics part (s) are fubbed duck, you'll lose fore and
aft changes (you can get R, 1st, 3rd, or 5th, but not 2nd or 4th, or vice
versa) or L-R changes (OK 1-2, 3-4, but not 1-3, 3-5).
    In any case, first check linkage, even if that all checks out then I'd
next be looking at shift forks, which oftens have a simple set screw holding
them in place.
    You're a long way from needing a rebuilt trans; but by all means do the
engine swap if you want.

Karl